JOB OPPORTUNITY AT STRATHMORE UNIVERSITY
Job Title: Director
Department: Strathmore Energy Research Centre (SERC)
Reporting to: DVC Research & Innovation
Basic job summary: This position will be responsible for developing and overseeing the implementation of the department’s strategy to ensure success in training, research, testing and consultancy programs within SERC. This position will also act as a link between SERC, partners, external parties and the management of the University.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Develop new initiatives to support the strategic direction of SERC by scanning the environment to identify new opportunities, developing innovative Programs that seek to address identified opportunities in accordance with SERCs’ strategic plan; create linkages and partner with likeminded institutions.
- Oversee development and implementation of long-term goals and objectives to guide the strategic direction of SERC.
- Lead financial sustainability of the center by overseeing financial forecasting at the project and organizational level, identifying and proactively pursuing grants and fundraising opportunities and overseeing the preparation of grant applications, concept notes and proposals to donors.
- Build a solid donor intelligence network/base representing the local, regional, and international donor communities, with a view to expanding SERCs’ renewable energy portfolio.
- Actively represent the organization’s program development interests at relevant meetings, events, and within resource mobilization fora or donor-specific peer networks, as they relate to SERCs’ work.
- Coordinate the development interface with project management and operations teams to assure customer satisfaction.
- Review project submittals for quality assurance, technical accuracy, and customer-oriented solutions.
Minimum Academic Qualifications:
- A Master’s degree in Renewable Energy, Energy Management or in Energy and Environmental Management with an Electrical Engineering background or any other relevant field
- Passionate about renewable energy
- Experience and knowledge of the Renewable Energy sector and issues within the region.
- 10 years of post-graduate work experience in the renewable energy field ideally in carrying out programme development and/or fundraising within the private sector and/or international development organizations.
- Demonstrated donor network in Kenya (required) and in the region (preferred).
- Comprehensive knowledge and understanding of research and grant project proposal cycles, contract terms and project implementation.
- Ability to work on short-term assignments with tight deadlines while managing multiple tasks and pipelines
Competencies and Attributes
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills
- Must have people skills
- Demonstrate evidence of negotiation skills
- Excellent communication skills and public relations.
- Demonstrate evidence of ability to understand and manage the research process
Are you qualified for this position and interested in working with us? We would like to hear from you. Kindly send us a copy of your updated resume and letter of application (ONLY) quoting “Director, SERC” on the subject line to email@example.com by 27th May 2021.
Due to the large number of applications we may receive, kindly note that only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Please be advised that Strathmore University is an equal opportunity employer and does NOT ask for money from applicants under any circumstances during its recruitment process. Interested applicants are encouraged to exercise caution upon receiving any such interview opportunity that requires payment of any money.