Every day industry executives in both the private and public sectors bemoan the lack of data scientists. CEOs, CIOs, CFOs and COOs need people who theoretically know how to look at the data that their company generate, and delve into it to derive the all-important insights. The demand for these professionals with big data skills is increasing alongside the increased investment in big data. Companies today realise the value of Data Analytics. As a result, they are looking for skilled people to capture and make sense of it.
Data Science – “Data is the new crude oil, do you have the skills to refine it?” 95% of the world’s data has been created in just the past 2 years. Data is the next natural resource and Big Data is becoming the new differentiating factor of production. Faced with overwhelming amounts of data, organisations are struggling to extract the powerful insights they need to make smarter business decisions. To help uncover the true value of your data, the MSc in Data Science and Analytics is for all professionals looking to harness data in new, innovative ways and make data-driven decisions.
During the course of two years participants will be able take their data analytics skills to the next level as they learn the theory and practice behind recommendation engines, regressions, network and graphical modeling, anomaly detection, hypothesis testing, machine learning, and big data analytics. The program is a collaboration between Strathmore Institute of Mathematical Sciences (SIMS) @iLabAfrica Research and Innovation Centre.
Who Should Apply?
This programme has been designed for students who have completed a degree in either Statistics, IT, Commerce, Economics or Finance, and technical enthusiasts wishing to further their knowledge of Data Science and Analytics. The programme provides students with a route to high-quality careers in Big Data, Machine Learning, Artificial Intelligence, Data Analytics and Data Science. The programme will supply industry and government entities with a stream of highly trained data experts.
Data science is responsible for discovering insights from massive amounts of structured and unstructured data to help shape or meet specific business needs and goals. The role of Data Science is becoming increasingly important as businesses rely more heavily on big data and Data Analytics to drive decision-making.
If you are interested in being able to:
- Clean, prepare your data for analysis, apply programming to explore and model data.
- Apply analytic techniques to solve development problems in Medicine, Engineering, Finance, Economics, Real Estate and Social Sciences. The types of analytics covered include – Descriptive Analytics, Diagnostic Analytics, Predictive Analytics and Prescriptive Analytics.
- Deploy Machine Learning Algorithms to mine your data.
- Interpret analytical models to make better business decisions, present your findings and impress the audience.
Consider applying for Strathmore University’s MSc in Data Science and Analytics today!
Mode of Delivery
The course will be a hybrid of both face-to-face sessions as well as video-conferencing. We have made the decision to accommodate the learning both from home and/or on-campus. Classes are organised as five (5) taught modules and a dissertation.
- Holders of First Class or Upper Second Class honours degrees in Statistics, IT, Commerce, Economics or Finance from recognised universities, or
- Holders of Lower Second Class degrees plus postgraduate diplomas or certificates, or with at least two years’ relevant experience in the areas above, or
- Holders of other related qualifications from recognised universities, considered by the Academic Council as equivalent to the criteria in (1) or (2).
"*" indicates required fields