CTA selects ICT Hubs and Labs as partners to organise the Agri-Hack Championship
CTA is pleased to announce the ICT hubs and labs selected as partners for the organisation of the of the regional hackathon that will take place in parallel to the ICT4Ag Conference. Thirty East African technology spaces responded to the call for expression of interest that was launched and submitted their applications. The selection committee narrowed them down to 9 hubs/labs. Criteria for selection included:
- Profile of the institution and the existence of a form of business incubation program;
- Existence of an entrepreneur/developer community;
- Existence of a business coach or advisor to provide mentorship and/or coaching
- Ability to organize one selection event/hackathon to nominate a team to the finals;
- Existence of a physical space to host winning national teams for incubation/coaching throughout the post competition incubation period
The hubs/labs selected are:
- kLab– Rwanda
- KINU and Buni Hub– Tanzania
- Ice Addis– Ethiopia
- Hive Colab and Outbox – Uganda
- C4DLab (Computing for Development Lab) and iBizAfrica- Kenya
- Habaka Madagascar Innovation Hub – Madagascar.
Each of these partners will organise a national event to select a team that will send two representatives to finals in Kigali. At the regional finals, teams will receive coaching, mentorship and valuable feedback from players in the ICT and agriculture sector attending the ICT4Ag conference. This is in addition to the time allocated for further development and refinement of their solutions. Moreover, teams in the championship will compete for seed grants amounting to EUR 5,000, EUR 4,000 and EUR 3,000 for the first, second and third overall positions respectively. The hubs nominating the three winning teams will also receive a EUR 3,000 grant to undertake post competition incubation and business support to the winning teams for a period of 6 months.
CTA is also pleased to announce that m:lab East Africa, has been selected (through another process) as technical manager of the event.
The Agri-Hack Championship will showcase the potentials of ICT applications in agriculture at the ICT4Ag conference and support the development of ICT innovations and entrepreneurship in agriculture, especially by youth. The Conference will be organized from 4 to 8 November 2013 by CTA, MINAGRI (Rwanda), with the involvement of other key partners.