Master of Science in Sustainable Energy Transitions (MSc. SET)
The Master of Science in Sustainable Energy Transitions is a multi-disciplinary program that is designed to equip practitioners ,policymakers and civil society with the capacity to develop and implement energy systems that promote transition to clean, affordable, reliable and sustainable energy in Africa.
This program will adopt a student-centred approach and combine theory and practice through classroom lectures, laboratory sessions and an option of an internship or capstone project to facilitate transfer of the required skills and experience.
The course is suited for individuals in the field of Engineering, Computer Science, Information Technology, Environmental Science and graduates in science related disciplines who want to develop solutions for the sustainable energy transition that are relevant for Sub-Saharan Africa.
Mode of Delivery
The mode of delivery to be used for the programme is based on face to face lectures and tutorials, class discussions, guest speakers, analysis of case studies, library research, demonstrations and field work, simulations and practical exercises.
Course work will cover Sustainable Energy Systems and Society, Power Systems, Energy Policy, Laws and Regulations, Energy Management and Standards, Energy Law, Governance and Regulation, Energy Systems Analysis, Energy Practicum Design, Solar Photovoltaic Systems, Big Data, Internet of Things and Energy and Data Science Concepts.
i) Holders of First Class (or GPA of 3.45 – 4) or Upper Second Class (or GPA of 2.85 – 3.44) degrees in Engineering, Computer Science, Information Technology, Environmental Science, or a science related discipline from recognised universities; or
ii) Holders of Lower Second Class degrees in Engineering, Computer Science, Information Technology, Environmental Science, or a science related discipline from recognised universities or at least 2.5 GPA plus Postgraduate Diplomas or Certificates in relevant fields of study; or with at least two years working experience in the energy sector or research environment.
iii) Holders of other related qualifications from recognised universities considered by the Academic Council as equivalent to the criteria in (i) or (ii).
If the applicant meets the above entry requirements, they are then invited to sit a written Graduate Entrance Exam (GEE). All applicants MUST sit and pass our GEE that comprises of a written exam followed by an oral interview. The written exam entails English comprehension and grammar, arithmetic plus an essay. Once the applicant has completed and passed the written exam, they are scheduled for an oral interview.
NB: The GEE is administered every Wednesday and Friday at 2:00 pm.
1. Dully filled in Graduate Application Form (Download the form here).
2. Two (2) completed Reference Forms from your professional background or from former professors particularly qualified to attest to the applicant’s qualification for graduate study (Download reference form here).
3. Certified copies of undergraduate degree certificate and transcript of records (TOR) in English giving full details of subjects studied and grades/marks obtained.
4. Certified copy of your Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education-KCSE certificate (Secondary/High School Certificate or its equivalent).
5. An updated Curriculum Vitae. Please use the Europass CV template (http://europass.cedefop.europa.eu).
6. Two (2) current passport size photos.
7. A copy of National Identity Card (ID) or a copy of Passport (bio-data page).
8. KES 2,500/- Interview fee payable on the interview day.
NB: Certified copies: Please note the copies of the certificates and transcripts should be certified by the awarding institution or by an advocate of the high court.
Fees and Funding
The programme fee is KES 1.13 M
NB: the fees may change in a given academic year.
Kindly fill the form below