Master of Science in Statistical Science
Statistical skills are important in all applied sciences (life sciences, medicine and related fields, physical sciences, social and behavioral sciences) and are becoming increasingly so in emerging fields that require analysis of complex data such as marketing and finance. There is a constant demand for graduates with these skills in both industry and academia.
The Master of Science in Applied Statistics offered at the provides an excellent balance between theory and application. The broad base of training in the important areas of statistical sciences will allow the student to successfully progress into professional employment or research.
The course covers 16 course units offered over 4 academic semesters and a subsequent dissertation project. The program relies on MATLAB, R, and C++ as the computing languages for modelling. Some of the core modules include the following:
• Statistical Inference
• Probability and Measure Theory
• Linear Models
• Design and Analysis of Survey
• Bayesian Modelling and Data Analysis
• Stochastic Processes
• Time series and Forecasting
• Design of Experiments
• Multivariate Statistical Analysis
• Predictive modelling and Data-mining
Holders of First Class (or GPA of 3.45 – 4) or Upper Second class (or GPA of 2.85–3.44) in Mathematics or related discipline; OR
Holders of Lower Second Class or at least 2.5 GPA degrees in Mathematics or a related discipline plus:
• Postgraduate Diplomas in relevant areas OR
• At least two years working experience from the day of graduation OR
Holders of other related qualifications from recognized universities.
In addition, the applicant must have obtained the minimum university entry requirement i.e. scored at least a C+ in their KCSE (or its equivalent).
If the applicant meets the above entry requirements, they are then invited to sit a written Graduate Entrance Exam (GEE). All applicants MUST sit and pass our GEE that comprises of a written exam followed by an oral interview. The written exam entails English comprehension and grammar, arithmetic plus an essay. Once the applicant has completed and passed the written exam, they are scheduled for an oral interview.
NB: The GEE is administered every Wednesday and Friday at 2:00 pm.
1. Dully filled in Graduate Application Form (Download the form here).
2. Two (2) completed Reference Forms from your professional background or from former professors particularly qualified to attest to the applicant’s qualification for graduate study (Download reference form here).
3. Certified copies of undergraduate degree certificate and transcript of records (TOR) in English giving full details of subjects studied and grades/marks obtained.
4. Certified copy of your Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education-KCSE certificate (Secondary/High School Certificate or its equivalent).
5. An updated Curriculum Vitae. Please use the Europass CV template (http://europass.cedefop.europa.eu).
6. Two (2) current passport size photos.
7. A copy of National Identity Card (ID) or a copy of Passport (bio-data page).
8. 2,500 Interview fee payable on the interview day.
NB: Certified copies: Please note the copies of the certificates and transcripts should be certified by the awarding institution or by an advocate of the high court.
Fees and Funding
The programme fee is Kshs 837,000 which is payable over the six (6) semesters of the programme). Ps: the fees may change in a given academic year.
Kindly fill the form below