Master of Science in Information Systems Security (Msc ISS)
The Master of Science in Information System Security has been developed with global and local key players in the IT Security industry. The course is designed specifically to prepare participants for the challenging task of identifying and delivering relevant solutions to threats that endanger Information System resources. The MSc. ISS course is delivered via video conferencing and face to face sessions. The classes are conducted by internationally recognised experts and faculty.
The course is ideally suited for Information Security Professionals, Network Administrators and graduates who want to assume leadership positions in the Information Security arena.
MSc ISS is offered every May and September every year
Mode of Delivery
MSc. ISS is a two (2) year program divided into seven (7) modules (offered on a part – time basis – classes run from 5.30 pm – 8.30 pm EAT on an average of 5 units per module).
What to Expect
Focus on both technical and managerial aspects of IT Security.
Benefit from a blend of academic teaching, industry input and practical skills.
Specialise with optional modules such as Software Security, Network Security and Digital Forensics.
The MSc. ISS program is ideally suited for experienced information security professionals, network administrators and young graduate students who want to assume leadership positions in the information security arena. The programme focuses on hands-on experience on various aspects of information security. The programme will prepare a graduate for positions such as:
• Chief Information Security Officer
• Information Security Architect
• Information Security Analyst
• Incident Responder
• Network Security Engineer
• Forensic Analyst
• Penetration Tester
• Malware Analyst
Areas of Specialization
• Digital Forensics – Students focus on the methods used in digital investigation by implementing technical security mechanisms to protect the confidentiality, integrity and accessibility of critical data.
• Network Security – Students examine the dimensions of providing security in terms networks architecture, network infrastructure and network traffic.
• Software Security – Students learn the various facets of enhancing security in terms of Information Systems, operating systems and applications, both software and hardware.
1. Holders of First Class (GPA of 3.45 – 4) or Upper Second Class (GPA of 2.85 – 3.44) degrees in a Computer Science or IT discipline from recognized universities; or
2. Holders of Lower Second Class degrees in IT (or at least GPA of 2.5) plus;
• At least two years working from the day of graduation or
• Postgraduate Diplomas or Certificates, in Computer Science or IT;
3. Holders of other related qualifications from recognised universities, considered by the Academic Council as equivalent to a First Class or Upper Second Class degree in Computer Science or IT discipline; or
In addition, the applicant must have obtained the minimum university entry requirement i.e. scored at least a C+ in their KCSE (or its equivalent).
If the applicant meets the above entry requirements, they are then invited to sit a written Graduate Entrance Exam (GEE). All applicants MUST sit and pass our GEE that comprises of a written exam followed by an oral interview. The written exam entails English comprehension and grammar, arithmetic plus an essay. Once the applicant has completed and passed the written exam, they are scheduled for an oral interview.
NB: The GEE is administered every Wednesday and Friday at 2:00 pm.
1. Dully filled in Graduate Application Form (Download the form here).
2. Two (2) completed Reference Forms from your professional background or from former professors particularly qualified to attest to the applicant’s qualification for graduate study (Download reference form here).
3. Certified copies of undergraduate degree certificate and transcript of records (TOR) in English giving full details of subjects studied and grades/marks obtained.
4. Certified copy of your Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education-KCSE certificate (Secondary/High School Certificate or its equivalent).
5. An updated Curriculum Vitae. Please use the Europass CV template (http://europass.cedefop.europa.eu).
6. Two (2) current passport size photos.
7. A copy of National Identity Card (ID) or a copy of Passport (bio-data page).
8. 2,500 Interview fee payable on the interview day.
NB: Certified copies: Please note the copies of the certificates and transcripts should be certified by the awarding institution or by an advocate of the high court.
Fees and Funding
The programme fee is Kshs 1,408,500. Ps: the fees may change in a given academic year.