Master of Arts in Diplomacy, Intelligence and Security Studies (MDIS)
We appreciate your interest in our Master of Arts in Diplomacy, Intelligence and Security programme.
Master of Arts in Diplomacy, Intelligence and Security (MDIS) is designed in pursuit of knowledge and inculcation of professional and the relevant skills in the area of Diplomacy, Intelligence and Security guided by moral and legal principles.The programme is designed to meet the emerging challenges in diplomacy, security and intelligence, and to highlight how the three can work together in the pursuit of national interest and security: This will be:
- informed by contemporary realities nationally, regionally and internationally;
- reflect current trends in the areas of study and practice;
- equip practitioners with the most current theories,
- develop contemporary skills and advanced analytical tools necessary for a complex operational milieu;
- allow practitioners to engage actively in decision making while weighing factually alternative policies.
At the end of the programme, students should.
- Examine the evolution, functions and activities of the national intelligence communities
- Explain the functions, and contributions of national intelligence consumers, communities or both and its relationship with law enforcement agencies Discuss the intelligence cycle, intelligence planning, data collection and exploitation, analysis and dissemination
- Assess traditional and non-traditional threats to national and international security
- Evaluate techniques and procedures for enhancing inter-agency cooperation and intelligence sharing
- Develop frameworks for understanding the contemporary security environment of Kenya
- Analyse the role of diplomacy in the domains of security and intelligence
- Analyse the process of formulating and implementing policy to protect the safety and freedom of the public
- Carry out independent research that contributes to the development of the emerging discipline of homeland security through applying domestic and international security policy & contribute to the management of diplomacy, intelligence and security in Kenya.
- Holders of first class or upper second class honors degree in the relevant academic fields from a recognized university or,
- Holders of other related qualifications from recognized universities considered by the academic council as equivalent to a first class or Upper second class degree or,
- Holders of lower second class degree + postgraduate diplomas or professional certificates from recognized institutions or with at least 2 years relevant work experience in diplomacy, intelligence and security sectors
In addition, the applicant must have obtained the minimum university entry requirement i.e. scored at least a C+ in their KCSE (or its equivalent)
For one to enroll in this masters program, the school will first need to determine your eligibility.
Kindly share your updated CV, scanned copies of your High School Certificate (or its equivalent), undergraduate academic transcripts, and degree certificate to email@example.com to help us determine your eligibility for MDIS.
- Duly filled in Graduate Application Form (Download the form here).
- Two (2) completed Reference Forms from your professional background or from former professors particularly qualified to attest to the applicant’s qualification for graduate study (Download reference form here).
- Certified copies of undergraduate degree certificate and transcript of records (TOR) in English giving full details of subjects studied and grades/marks obtained.
- Certified copy of your Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education-KCSE certificate (Secondary/High School Certificate or its equivalent).
- Updated Curriculum Vitae. Please use the Europass CV template (http://europass.cedefop.europa.eu).
- One (1) current passport size photos.
- A copy of National Identity Card (ID) or a copy of Passport (bio-data page).
- Ksh. 2,500 Interview fee is payable on the interview day.
- Applicants with foreign qualifications/degrees are required to provide a Letter of Recognition from CUE (The Commission of University Education) which can be applied through the following link: https://recognition.cue.or.ke/public/
NB: Certified copies: Please note the copies of the certificates and transcripts should be certified by the awarding institution or by an advocate of the high court.
If the applicant meets the entry requirements, they are then invited to take a written Graduate Entrance Exam (GEE). All applicants MUST take and pass our GEE that comprises a written exam followed by an oral interview. The written exam entails English comprehension and grammar, arithmetic plus an essay. The GEE is administered virtually.
Fees and Funding
Total fees for MDIS: Currently –KSh. I.6M. (which is payable over the six (6) semesters of the programme).
Kindly fill the form below