As of March 10th, 2020, 100 cases have been confirmed across 10 African countries.
Globally, the hotspots include:
In Africa, the hotspots are:
- South Africa
More information on the affected countries can be found here: COVID – 19 situation report
The latest confirmed case in Africa has been in The Democratic Republic of Congo where a couple was confirmed to be infected after their return from France Europe.
How will I know that I have been infected?
Early symptoms (COVID -19 symptoms) to look out for include:
- Dry cough
Later symptoms include:
- Shortness of breath
- Difficulty in breathing
What can I do if I suspect that I have been infected?
If you develop early symptoms of fever, fatigue and dry cough, you are advised to self-quarantine and you can see how to through this link: Self quarantine: All you need to know
Should you experience any of these later symptoms of shortness of breath and difficulty in breathing or suspect that someone around you is infected, call any of the following hospitals or reach out to the Ministry of Health Disease Surveillance Division in advance as you make your way to the hospital:
|Ministry of Health Disease Surveillance Division||Toll Free Line (in Kenya): 0800 721 316
Tel Hotline: +254 729 471 414/+254 732 353 535
|Mbagathi Hospital|| +254 020 272 4712
+254 0721 311 088
|Kenyatta Hospital||+254 272 6300|
|Aga Khan Hospital||+254 366 2020/22 +254 374 0000|
|Nairobi Hospital||+254703 082 000
+254730 666 000
What health measures can I take to prevent infection?
The following are health and hygiene measures to prevent infection:
- Cancel all non-essential travel.
- Wash your hands frequently, with soap and water, or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer
- Cover your nose and mouth when you cough or sneeze with a tissue or with your elbow flexed.
- Avoid handshaking, hugging and kissing (close contact) with people who have flu-like symptoms.
- Self-quarantine and reach out to any of the listed health facilities should you develop any symptoms.
For more information
For further information feel free to reach out to us:
- Hotline: 0701 668 193
- Email: email@example.com
- Website: https://sumc.strathmore.edu/